Wednesday, May 9

30 before 30

Ok, so we've all seen lists.  Bucket lists, new years resolutions, etc.  I googled 30 things to do before turning 30.  WOW!  Some people have TONS of money and TONS of time.  Their lists are quite fun to read.  Here are three that I found.  Enjoy reading their lists.  Maybe we can live vicariously through them!

BLOG #1
1. Dance my ass off in Ibiza. 
2. Swim with whale sharks in Donsol. 
3. Run a marathon. 
4. Party at Mardi Gras in New Orleans. 
5. Skydive. 
6. Master cooking up a gourmet 5-course meal. 
7. Learn to surf. 
8. Bungee jump. 
9. See the Grand Canyon. 
10. Conquer the 30-Day Bikram Yoga challenge. 
11. Go on a classic American road trip. 
12. Eat the worm in the mezcal. 
13. Explore the Mayan ruins. 
14. Find the cojones to converse, however crappily, in Spanish. 
15. Take pole dancing lessons. 
16. Go spelunking in Sagada. 
17. Give snowboarding a shot. 
18. Ride a motorcycle. 
19. Hike to Mt. Pinatubo's crater. 
20. Rock out at a music festival. 
21. Find my go-to karaoke song. 
22. Walk on the Brooklyn Bridge. 
23. Learn the basics of burlesque. 
24. Go vegetarian for one month. 
25. Sunbathe topless in Europe—somewhere where it's expected, of course. 
26. Go on a speed date. 
27. Watch the cherry blossoms bloom. 
28. Learn the art of aerial silks. 
29. Put in my application to go on mission. 
30. Forgive.

Source:  http://www.30before30project.com/



BLOG #2
• Visit the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone National Park
• Attempt to donate blood
• Hike the Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina portions of the Appalachian Trail
• Sky dive
• Pay off accrued debt with parents
• Pay off one of my three student loans
• Learn to Snowboard
• Hunt a deer
• Learn to fly fish
• Make a wood desk or furniture item from scratch
• Read the Bible all the way through again
• Play a full round of golf
• Visit the Biltmore House
• Return to UT for a football game
• Grow facial hair for a month just to see what it looks like
• Get licensed in Counseling
• Get BachelorBytes website started
• Get weight below 200 pounds
• Edit My Grandparents’ Historical Videos into a DVD
• Visit either Wrigley Field or Fenway Park for a game
• Ride on a motorcycle
• Make my "40 Things to do Before Turning 40" List
• Attempt a back flip off the ground
• Learn to sew on a button and fix a seam
• Run a 10K
• Complete the outline for my book/screenplay
• Watch The American Film Institute's entire top 100 List
• Sponsor a child through Compassion International
• Work on a Habitat house
• Learn to play three full songs on the piano



BLOG #3 (Although there are 150 things, fun to skim through...)
Bold are things I've done.
Italics are things I have yet to do and will someday, if not this year. 
01. Bought everyone in the bar a drink
02. Swam with dolphins 
03. Climbed a mountain 
04. Taken a sports car (Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari, etc.) for a test drive 
05. Been inside the Great Pyramid 
06. Held a tarantula 
07. Taken a candlelit bath with someone
08. Said “I love you” and meant it 
09. Hugged a tree 
10. Bungee jumped
11. Visited Paris or Italy or Greece other romantic European location
12. Watched a lightning storm at sea 
13. Stayed up all night long and saw the sun rise 
14. Seen the Northern Lights 
15. Gone to a huge sports game (South Korea / North Korea World Cup Qualifier!)
16. Walked the stairs to the top of the leaning Tower of Pisa
17. Grown and eaten your own vegetables 
18. Touched an iceberg
19. Slept under the stars (Camping during Chusok in Seoul)
20. Changed a baby’s diaper
21. Taken a trip in a hot air balloon 
22. Watched a meteor shower 
23. Gotten drunk on champagne 
24. Given more than you can afford to charity 
25. Looked up at the night sky through a telescope
26. Had an uncontrollable giggling fit at the worst possible moment 
27. Had a food fight 
28. Bet on a winning horse
29. Asked out a stranger 
30. Had a snowball fight 
31. Screamed as loudly as you possibly can
32. Be considered an expert resource on something 
33. Seen a total eclipse
34. Ridden a roller coaster 
35. Hit a home run 
36. Danced like a fool and didn’t care who was looking 
37. Adopted an accent for an entire day 
38. Actually felt happy about your life, even for just a moment
39. Driven a motorcycle/scooter abroad  (...and maybe I crashed one..shhh)
40. Visited all 50 states 
41. Taken care of someone who was drunk 
42. Had amazing friends 
43. Danced with a stranger in a foreign country 
44. Watched whales 
45. Stolen a sign 
46. Backpacked in Europe 
47. Taken a road-trip 
48. Gone rock climbing
49. Taken a midnight walk on the beach  
50. Gone sky diving  (THIS YEAR!!!)
51. Backpacked in Asia
52. Been heartbroken longer than you were actually in love
53. In a restaurant, sat at a stranger’s table and had a meal with them 
54. Visited Japan
55. Milked a cow
56. Alphabetized your CDs/computer music files 
57. Pretended to be a superhero 
58. Sung karaoke 
59. Lounged around in bed all day
60. Played touch football 
61. Gone scuba diving (but I want to be certified)
62. Kissed in the rain 
63. Played in the mud (Mudfest 2008!!)
64. Played in the rain
65. Gone to a drive-in theatre 
66. Visited the Great Wall of China  (10k hike in January baby)
67. Started a business  (Thecommunitymanager.com)
68. Fallen in love and not had your heart broken
69. Toured ancient sites 
70. Taken a martial arts class
71. Seen Niagara Falls
72. Gotten married 
73. Been in a movie 
74. Crashed a party
75. Camped outside & slept on the ground
76. Gone without food for 5 days
77. Made cookies from scratch
78. Won first prize in a costume contest
79. Ridden a gondola in Venice
80. Gotten a tattoo  (3...w/ #4 coming soon)
81. Gone White Water Rafting 

82. Been on a news program or in a newspaper as an “expert” 
83. Gotten flowers for no reason
84. Performed on stage
85. Been to Las Vegas 
86. Recorded music  
87. Eaten shark
88. Kissed on the first date 
89. Lived in another city internationally
90. Bought a house
91. Gone strip club hopping
92.  Ridden a camel.
93. Been on a cruise ship
94. Spoken more than one language fluently
95.  Watched 25 of the top 500 movies out there
96. Raised children
97. Followed your favorite band/singer on tour 
98. Passed out cold 
99. Taken an exotic bicycle tour in a foreign county (Multiple times in China)
100. Picked up and moved to another city to just start over 

101. Walked the Golden Gate Bridge 
102. Sang loudly in the car, and didn’t stop when you knew someone was looking with the windows open 
103.Had a One Night Stand
104. Survived an accident that you shouldn’t have survived 
105. Wrote articles for a large publication 
106. Lost over 100 pounds 
107. Held someone while they were having a flashback 
108. Piloted an airplane (thanks Hans!)
109. Touched a stingray 
110. Broken up with someone who wasn't the one
111. Helped an animal give birth
112. Won money on a TV game show
113. Broken a bone 
114. Gone on an African photo safari 
115. Had a facial part pierced other than your ears (eyebrow AND tongue)
116. Fired a rifle, shotgun, or pistol 
117. Eaten mushrooms that were gathered in the wild 
118. Ridden a horse  
119. Been on a plane longer than 8 hours
120. Had a snake as a pet
121. Hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon
122. Slept for a full day
123. Visited more foreign countries than U.S. States
124. Visited all 7 continents 
125. Taken a canoe trip that lasted more than 2 days
126. Eaten kangaroo meat
127. Eaten sushi (Found out I was allergic)
128. Had your picture in the newspaper 

129. Changed someone’s mind about something you care deeply about
130. Gone back to school 
131. Parasailed 
132. Touched a cockroach (UNFORTUNATELY.)
133. Eaten fried green tomatoes  (Dinosaur BBQ baby)
134. Read The Iliad and The Odyssey
135. Selected one “important” author who you missed in school, and read on your own
136. Killed and prepared an animal for eating
137. Skipped all your school reunions 
138. Communicated with someone without sharing a common spoken language
139. Write a book
140. Built or played in an Igloo
141. Thought to yourself that you’re living your dream
142. Gone skiing/snowboarding
143. Gone Surfing
144. Done something nice for someone just because
145. Compete in a sports competition
146. Dyed your hair 
147. Been a DJ  (WERW!  Z89!  K-Rock!)
148. Shaved your head/donate your hair to charity (Locks 4 Love)
149. Excel at public speaking in front of a large crowd  (LOVE IT!)
150. Saved someone’s life


Source:  http://thesocialchameleons.blogspot.com/2012/02/things-to-do-before-turning-30.html


So these lists are great.  But very much unrealistic for me.  (ok, not EVERYTHING, but the majority of them are!)  Although 30 isn't the end of the world, I thought it would be fun to make a REALISTIC goal and see how many I actually can accomplish in ONE year!  Some things are going to be on the list because I want them to get done.  Some because I already have them planned.  Some because I would like to re-introduce something back into my life.  Some because I want to try something new.  And some are going to be JUST FOR FUN!  Anyway, thought I'd write them down and see a year from now what I did (and maybe what I did without it being on my list!)  Hopefully I inspire you to think about your goals and dreams for your life (OR at least by your next birthday!)

My list:

1)  Design someone's wedding invites
2)  Paint an oil painting (maybe sell it?)
3)  Go camping at least once in every season (even with Hagen)
4)  Go on a date once a month with The Mr. (without Hagen...gasp!)
5)  Be able to do 20 pushups!
6)  Cut my hair and donate it
7)  Do a Yoga DVD enough to actually be able to do it!
8)  Be able to touch my toes without stretching first!
9)  Bake a cake/cupcakes for friends and families birthdays and deliver to them!
10)  Write in my journal
11)  Become an effective blogger
12)  Have only 5 late assignments in my classes from 5/9/12-5/9/13
13)  Try new sex positions, heck let's be honest, HAVE sex again... (sorry family, but I had to put in on my list...!)  
14)  Find a frosting recipe I LOVE!
15)  Learn to sew to mend up clothes that need mending
16)  Write down Hagen's milestones
17)  Organize printed photos (computer files will be the next year...)
18)  Re-build my guitar finger calluses
19)  Go on DAILY walks (even if they only last 5 minutes)
20)  Take Hagen to 5 museums
21)  Write birthday cards to family members and close friends for their birthdays    (even if they are belated) Starting 5/9/12 to 5/9/13
22)  Go to a drive-in Movie theater
23)  Go running in the rain
24)  "Sleep" with the window open during a thunderstorm
25)  Take in every moment I can with Hagen and The Mr. (Enjoy my life, even when   things are hectic and crazy-like they will be this next year)
26)  Complain less- for every negative, I have to say a positive!!
27)  Have a movie marathon date with The Mr. (AKA, let Hagen be a big boy and sleep overnight WITHOUT us... can I do it??)
28)  Finish my Clay Baker pottery
29)  Buy a new pair of earrings
30)  Go on an overnight bike ride with Hagen and The Mr. 

30 seems so grown-up and adult like and I thought I'd feel more like a grown-up and an adult than I do.  But whatever I thought my life would look like at this stage in life, I no longer care about what it was I had thought it should be.  I am where I am.  I have a wonderful husband who supports me.  I have a son who is more perfect than I could have ever imagined.  I have a puppy that has come a long way and is the most precious dog in my world.  I have family that is crazy, supportive and MINE!  (and even only a year or 2 into this, I consider the in-laws falling into that category!)  I have some of the closest friends I could ever hope for.  I have a past.  I have a future.  And I am going to take every day in as I celebrate my last year in my 20's.  This is not a remorseful event, but rather an opportunity to be thankful for everything that has happened in my life to get me where I am today, and to get ready for this new chapter in my life as a mother, a wife, a daughter, a sister, and a friend.  


Happy Birthday to everyone who will be transitioning to a new age in the next year!   

1 comment:

  1. Bekki, I love your list! I was a little confused at first and thought the first ones were yours... until I got to the part about growing facial hair. I just started a list the other day and still have a few left to add to get to 30! p.s. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete