Saturday, September 8

Roots


I took this photo while on a recent camping trip with Molly up to the North Shore area. This picture began me thinking, I admit probably too much. It's amazing how these roots can be exposed, stepped on or whatever abuse they encounter and yet still continue to reach out for the water and live. The tree can even lean and look like it's going to fall over, yet it still remains standing. This time at home has been good but a challenge. I met a guy, actually on this camping trip, who seemed like a cool guy yet I never got a chance to get to know him. Somehow I got my hopes up and felt a bit like an exposed root. I began reading Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne and have been looking a lot into myself about what I should be doing as a Christian. Sometimes I feel like there are so many fights that I should be fighting that I don't know where to start so I quickly give up the cause. Again, started to feel like more and more of the ground which I had grown so into was washing away before me. I'm soon leaving everything: my family and friends, which were so nice to be around for the short time at home, possibilities, a life where things were moving in a direction...I feel like I could go on. But despite all of that I know that God is there to keep me from falling over, and will give me new directions for my roots to grow and new soil to start growing in. And he's the water that I keep searching out for when my plans or my ideas for how life should go aren't where he has planned for me. I hope that he guides me and fills me up from the roots. Ok, so maybe it was a bit of a cheesy metaphor, but hey, sometimes it's what I need to help me process!

No comments:

Post a Comment